About Us - Our History
The M.S. Blish residence at 419 N. Chestnut St. was built circa 1900, but the history of the Burkholder Chapel business dates back to 1869 when the Hustedt family established a funeral service in downtown Seymour.
The Blish home has many historical features. Besides being the first electrified home in Seymour, the third floor was used as a school classroom where Mrs. M.S. Blish taught kindergarten.The home has many interesting features,including carved mantels, a waterfall staircase, stained glass windows, and coffered ceilings.
The business later changed hands and was known as the Tower Funeral Home before Victor Burkholder changed the business' name in 1957. It was in 1963 that Burkholder moved the business into the former Blish home. The business was also owned by the Myers family, who sold the business to Service Corporation International in 1998.
Rick and Linda Ferguson purchased Burkholder Funeral Chapel from Service Corporation International on April 1, 2004 and plan to renovate the second floor living quarters to reflect the homes' historic features.
The home has recently been filmed and will be appearing in the Spring of 2008 in the HGTV series, "If Walls Could Talk," episode #1911. See the episode at: http://www.hgtv.com/hgtv/shows_wct.